Friday, November 03, 2006

Didgeridoo or Didgeridon't




I saw in the paper today that Rolf has at last received some recognition for his services to entertainment - he might be an Aussie but the man is a legend and a genius! Rolf Harris CBE - quite right too!

For as long as I can remember I have always been amazed that God should bless one person with so many different skills and talents. And he's a genuinely nice bloke too. On one of his many visits to the BBC he drew a special picture for my son Josh, and left me the most wonderful message of support on my voicemail. The man really is a top geezer.

The only blot on his otherwise unblemished character remains his rendering of 'Stairway to Heaven' - a Led Zepellin classic! He received a lot of negative feedback from Led Zep fans who felt that he had gone beyond the pale in desecrating this rock classic. However, Rolf's response was memorable - 'If you don't want people to sing stuff then you shouldn't publish it' - to my shame I found myself nodding in agreement!

I was in Australia earlier this year and (as you do) asked a native aborigine what they thought of Rolf's abilities on the didgeridoo. He told me that as far as most aborigines are concerned Rolf is an excellent player - praise indeed from the very people who invented the instrument, and for whom it plays a very important part in their spiritual and cultural beliefs. While I was over there I had a go at playing the didgeridoo. To my (and everyone else's surprise - especially the aborigine guy) I managed to get a really good sound first time! However, the skill is maintaining a droning note for several minutes without passing out, seeing stars or hyper-ventilating. This requires mastery of circular breathing - being able to breath in through the nose whilst blowing out through the mouth!

Well... a few weeks ago my daughter Becky and her boyfriend Ash brought me back from Oz my very own didgeridoo. A beautiful thing it is too - crafted by both human hands (about 8 hours apparently) and thousands of hardworking termites (about 20 years by all accounts)! I was thrilled to bits and at the moment am desperately trying to master the breathing technique - I'll keep you informed!

Anyway, back to Rolf - whose invention of his Jake the Peg character must be one of entertainment's most unique creations. Well - what can I say - Congratulations to a much loved and great man - Good on yer mate! Champerton, really Champerton!

No comments: