Thursday, November 16, 2006

Spring Onions!

No - panic ye not - I've not entered the seedy (get it? - seedy - oh the wit of the man!) world of Alan Titchmarsh.

No - Spring Onions is my over familiar nickname for the greatest Christian Conference on the planet:

SPRING HARVEST!!

If you're a Christian and you've never been to Spring Onions you really don't know what you're missing. Come to that if you're NOT a Christian and you've never been to Spring Onions then - quite frankly - you've never lived! Yours truly was at the very first one in 1979 in Prestatyn (N. Wales) with my good friend Richard and around 2000 other people attending. Spring Onions now provides places for over 70000 people on 2 sites across a number of weeks. We literally take over 2 of the largest Butlins holiday camps in the UK.

Now I know what you're thinking... Butlins..Easter...Hi-de-Hi.... well, let me re-assure you that Butlins is a lot different these days - warm comfortable chalets, really good food, and hardly a Red Coat in sight - would I lie to you??

Since 1986 I have been heading north each Easter to Skeggie (that's Skegness UK to the un-initiated) as part of an army of volunteers who look after the Under 5's.

Mad you say! Wrong I say! It's absolutely brilliant. For the past 14 years or so I've been priveliged to lead some wonderful teams of volunteers in providing Under 5's with the time of their lives - puppets, singing stories, games are just a few of hte things we get up to. It's hard work but incredibly rewarding - and unbelievably great fun! It's just like becoming a big kid - it's mega Champerton!

I've put a link to the site and would really really encourage you to consider either attending a guest...OR (even better).... volunteer to be on one of the teams - either at Skeggie or Minehead (where my mate Brian goes!). There is always a last minute panic for volunteers - so please do give it some serious thought and prayer!

Either way I guarantee you won't regret it!

No comments: