Saturday, October 28, 2006

Up the City - Wheel 'em in!


H'way the lads! (that's the geordie on my Mother's side coming out!). Why the excitement? - well Chelmsford City have only gone and stuffed Gravesend in the F.A. Cup - that's why! Well stuffed might be a little over the top - but 1-nil is 1-nil when all said and done. Being a Chelmsford lad myself I've 'supported' the City since I was twelve years old when they won the Southern League and almost got a place in the Football League- and seen them through some of the highs and lows of non-league footie. Getting through to the first round proper of the F.A. Cup - well, it's Champerton - simply Champerton!

Bring on Aldershot! Roll on 11 November!

City have a great bunch of loyal supporters (me every now and again) which includes the newly arrived Claret the City Parrot (pictured). Hang on a minute - do my eyes deceive me - or is that a human hand I see poking out of Claret's stomach? Does that mean that Claret is really - (gulp) - a human dressed up as a parrot?- is this unreleased film footage from Ridley Scott's 'Alien' - or has he simply devoured one of the visiting supporters in all the excitement? Who knows? Who cares??

Well... there were 1,609 supporters at today's game - not bad for a Isthmian League Premier Division side, and proving that there are some real die-hards supporters out there - including my friend Marky (who has so many replica City shirts I've lost count) who has been there through on the terraces through thick and thin - and came back from Bible College in Oxford especially for this game. It brings a tear to yer eye don't it?

Anyway - we're all very proud of Jeff King and the City boys! Up the City, Wheel 'em in!

No comments: